I finished (almost) the pleated tote I mentioned in my previous post last night. I have to be honest: I didn't love making this. Besides sewing a straight line, my sewing skills are probably below the beginner level. Cutting patterns, transferring pattern markings, using fusible interfacing... I kinda suck at these things. As a result, this bag is kinda sloppy, though my husband said he never would have noticed any of the flaws had I not pointed them out. Anyway, I guess I'm glad I have this now because I've been in need of a new bag for awhile (something besides the diaper bag) and being able to make one from stuff I already had here at the house from a free pattern was pretty great. I will also say that the directions for this bag are clear and easily understood.
The only thing missing is a button for the closure. I know I have extra buttons somewhere, but I can't find them. I can't imagine anywhere in our tiny house that they could be either, so... I might actually have to buy a button. There are some things I feel I should never have to buy and buttons for craft projects is definitely one of them, but oh well.
(The exterior and interior fabrics are from the "Brooklyn Heights" collection by Kitty Yoshida. The straps are made from Kona Mulberry.)
I am happy to go back to sewing blocks for my latest quilt using Joel Dewberry's Modern Meadow fabrics:
This quilt is based on Cluck Cluck Sew's tutorial for her Orange Quilt. I originally intended to follow this exactly, but somehow my blocks were coming up a little short and I found it easier to square them up to 6.5" rather than 7.5". This worked out well since I have a 6.5" ruler, but not a 7.5". I also decided last minute to add some wonk to these (also easier if I'm cutting off more).
I'm making 100 of these to make a 60" x 60" cuddle quilt for us to snuggle under this winter. I think 60" x 60" might be my ideal quilt size. I can't wait to see how my new machine handles it.